Friday 10 June 2011

Mojitos




Yay! Its Friday! And Fridays mean one thing to me: cocktails. Every week, I experiment with cocktails, getting pretty slaughtered in the process of finding the ultimate balance between the alcohols used and the other ingredients. But hey, thats all for you guys, you should be thanking me for doing all the dirty work. I think its a noble quest, anyhow.

I like cocktails where you can taste the ingredients. Good ingredients = good cocktails. So don't be stingy, go and buy proper limes, use the best rum you can find and use fresh mint. You'll get to notice that I like my cocktails rather strong, so if you're a bit of a pussy feel free to water it down a little by using more ice / water / soda water.

Today, I found what I think is a great recipe for Mojitos.

Ingredients
8 mint leaves
3 level teaspoons sugar (I use brown sugar)
juice of half a lime
2 shots white rum
crushed ice
  • Place the sugar, mint and lime juice in a pestle and mortar, then grind together to form a nice liquidy paste.
  • Pour the liquidy paste into a low tumbler glass, add the rum, and fill the glass with crushed ice. Stir together, garnish with a mint sprig (if you're in the mood) and serve.
This cocktail is great, and I like the fact that you can taste the sugar, mint and rum quite clearly, and there's a good balance between them. The original recipe uses soda water, but I don't dig it, so guess what? I don't use it.

Get drinking!

dK




# Photographically, I like to see the difference in focus range, and the overall feel of the photo, when I focus on objects which are in the foreground, and then take the same photo but focusing on the objects in the background, as in the following 2 photos. #









No comments:

Post a Comment