Saturday 4 June 2011

Esp015 from Espressolab




Coffee. Its the elixir of life. Seriously, as much as you'd like to say "Nahhh, come on now," its true. Plus its good for you. But this is about a new coffee blend, in particular, the Esp015 from Espressolab Microroasters. When I buy coffee, it usually comes from one of two places:

Origin Coffee Roasting (Hudson Street in de Waterkant)
Espressolab Microroasters (the shop is located in the Old Biscuit Mill in Woodstock)

I like Espressolab because of the people there. They've got a serious passion for coffee and are very conscious of sourcing their coffee from farms where the farmers are paid the correct prices for their coffee, and as far as possible the coffee is organic. If you didn't know, the coffee trading industry is notorious for drastically underpaying farmers for incredible quality coffees and exploiting the farmers in general. If you're interested, go and watch a movie called Black Gold. That'll be as good an education as any about the coffee industry. Its a sad, but true, reality.

So Espressolab really make me feel like I'm doing a good thing by buying their ethically-sourced coffee.
Plus, the coffee is fucking amazing. I was there this morning, and I've read about their new blends on their blog. I'm always sceptical about the way people say that they taste all these "profiles" and "flavours" in the coffee. I just know when a coffee tastes great or tastes shit. But anyway, wanting to make a believer out of myself, I took their words into consideration and decided that I would taste their new blend with an open mind, and I decided to really look for those flavours, and see what I could find.

The Esp015 really surprised me. Read how they describe the blend here. I'd forgotten every flavour profile they had mentioned, so I wanted to see what came up for me. In the aroma, I could smell honey, fynbos, and dark chocolate. These smells were all quite distinct, which impressed me. In the cup, I tasted a smoky, woody flavour, with fruity notes, and a slight chocolate backtaste. The finish was extraordinary, and remained around my tongue for a good 20 minutes. When I read the flavour profile afterwards, it seemed quite different, but I was nonetheless still astounded by the complexity of the coffee.

I love discovering new things like this. This next week will now be that much better because of it (I promptly bought myself a bag of the goods).

Espressolab. Check it out. They're doing some great things down there.


Monday-Friday from 8am-4pm
Saturday from 8am-2pm

The Old Biscuit Mill
373-375 Albert Road, Woodstock
Cape Town, South Africa

t: +27 21 4470845
e: info@espressolabmicroroasters.com



website: http://www.espressolabmicroroasters.com/
blog: http://espressolabmicroroasters.blogspot.com/


dK








No comments:

Post a Comment