Friday 22 July 2011

Errr... I'm back



So, I'm back. The reason I haven't posted in well over 4 weeks is complicated. Well, not really. I spilled water on my laptop. That was stupid. Anyway, I tried to save it by drying it off then sticking it in rice (yes, the rice that you eat) for two days. I had read somewhere that when electronic things - more commonly cellphones - have water spilled on them, you should dismantle them and put them in rice. The rice is said to have mystical powers of revival*. It worked! I switched the laptop on and all my data was still intact, but the power adapter was broken. No problem! That should be cheaply replaceable, should it not? Turns out, not. I sent the machine in to Digicape to have it assessed. It turned out it was going to cost more to fix the laptop than to buy a new one. Anyway, long story short, insurance paid for a new laptop (bonus for me) which is slightly better than the old one. The guys at Digicape were also very helpful, and that was nice to deal with people who are competent in what they do, for a change.

Now, I have to have a little bit of a rant to say just how great Apple products are. The laptop I have is a 13-inch Macbook Pro. Everything about it screams sex. The keyboard, the graphics, the design, the functionality, the simplicity, the EVERYTHING. Just as an example: seeing that my old hard-drive was still intact and contained some precious data, I wanted to get it onto my new computer. No prob, they said, and they housed it in a nice external HDD cover. Switch on laptop, run configuration program. Do I want to transfer information from and old computer? Why yes, yes I do. Plug in, leave 2 hours, come back. I expected some of the programs to have to be re-installed, the data to be re-organised, the personal settings to be reset, the calendar to be painstakingly reworked, etc. I look at my laptop and see everything EXACTLY AS IT HAD BEEN on my old Macbook Pro. I could not believe it. I nearly wanted to cry at the beauty of it all. Oh, thank you Apple technicians for designing such a wonderful, majestic, intelligent piece of technology. Everything was exactly as it had been, making this probably the simplest, most stress-free, effortless task I could have imagined when it comes to transferring everything from one computer to another. Wow. It was incredible. I am in awe of how great Apple products are.

If you have any other kind of computer, throw it in the bin and get yourself an Apple computer. It will change your life, for reals.

dK

*Clearly, you know nothing about rice. It has no such mystical powers. What it does do though, is absorb water (basic knowledge of rice people). Caught you :)
                                                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment